Tuesday 3 June 2014

Oncology appointment Monday 2nd June

I had my appointment with the Oncologist yesterday who noticed the cold sore under my nose. Well I'd be a bit concerned if he hadn't noticed it because it's a bloody big scabby thing. I told him I had been prone to them in the past but hadn't had one for about 10 years. He said it was because my immune system was compromised. He said he hoped it was a one off but if I got another he'd put me on anti viral drugs. He didn't want to do so if he could get away with it as I would have to take them for the whole of the chemo period.

So bugger me, what happens. I wake up this morning with a nascent cold sore on my lip. Arse. Straight down to Boots for their own brand of Zovirax cream. £3 cheaper than the proprietary brand. I hope I've managed to nip it in the bud but that's it, I'm going onto the anti virals as I cannot go though the next 6 months with scabs all over my boat.

On the plus side, my bloods were fine so I'm good to go for the next round of treatment starting on Thursday. I'm a bit anxious about it as the side effects weren't pleasant but you never know, this time they could be better, or they could be worse. I'll have to wait and see.

Whilst waiting for the result of my blood test yesterday (they take the blood and test it immediately so you get the results in half an hour) a colleague and his partner sat down opposite me. He had bowel cancer two years ago and had the same op and same chemo as me. However he reacted badly to it so had his regime changed after two treatments. He was back for the results of his latest six month scan and said that waiting for the scan results was worse than the chemo as his anxiety levels really build up. Anyway he emailed me yesterday saying the scan was clear and he didn't have to go back for another for 12 months. Great news.

No comments:

Post a Comment